This page will provide detailed directory of of the most widely recognized lactation programs that provide the education and clinical practice experience component required to qualify for Pathway 2 for the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners’ (IBLCE) annual International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) credentialing exam. It’s important to emphasize that of the some programs listed below provide clinical hours on-site or facilitate clinical opportunities locally (and at State level) whereas other programs require distance learners to facilitate their own preceptorship. This list is by no means exhaustive and for now, is limited to programs in America. I hope to expand to include international options in the future. If any programs you feel fit into this category are missing from list this, please let me know so I can add them.
- Offers a 2-year Associate of Science in Lactation Consultation Degree (ALC)
- Program summery pamphlet
- If you are in need of clinical hours, CALI will provide you one in its Baby Cafe – a drop-in center that provides parents with professional lactation care in Bakersfield, CA
- There is no charge for completing your clinical hours at CALI’s Baby Cafe as you are volunteering your time.
- See here for program brochure: includes pricing, dates of instruction, application process and additional program details
- In order to officially intern at Baby Cafe, volunteers must have completed a minimum of a 45-hour lactation program. Other volunteers who have not completed a lactation program are welcome to observe and assist with general tasks. If you would like to complete 45 or 90 lactation hours through CALI, see here
- All interns and volunteers must go through an interview with CALI faculty and undergo a few training pieces set forth by Baby Cafe USA
- All interns and volunteers must acknowledge certain tenets of the care and information CALI provides, which is consistent with the IBCLC Scope of Practice and IBCLC Code of Professional Conduct
- If you cannot complete your clinical hours at CALI’s Baby Cafe but are still in need of clinical hours, if you are a CLIP Intern, CALI will help in assisting you to find a clinical site that meets your needs
- The instructors at CALI are very much willing to work with your individual case and needs, so don’t hesitate to contact CALI with your questions: CALactationInstitute@yahoo.com
- See here for CALI faculty bios
- Provides comprehensive Training for Lactation Consulting
- Program FAQs
- Offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Maternal Child Health: Lactation Consulting
- In addition to obtaining a BS, through required coursework, students get 2 certifications in partnership with Healthy Children Project, Inc. These include:
- Union also offers a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Health & Wellness with a concentration in Lactation Consulting. You can see here for more details.
- Offers a Lactation Consultant Training Program
- Course description and certification
♦ Program provides the education and clinical practice required for IBCLC Pathway 2 applicants.
♣ Program has online or distance learning instruction.
Disclaimer: I’ve worked tirelessly to compile and fact check all of this information, but please confirm any pertinent details with the actual program yourself, particularly if it relates to qualifying for the IBCLC exam.
ILCA has also compiled a spread sheet of global Directory of Lactation Management courses as well, it’s a great resource to check out. The programs that offer clinical hours are marked as such. FYI: not all programs listed are still running.